This red cabbage and beetroot raw sauerkraut makes a superb accompaniment to any meal. It is full of beneficial enzymes and probiotic bacteria.
And I just happen to sell my own home made jars of it!
In this raw sauerkraut you have copious amounts of beneficial microbes that are extremely important for your health, as they help balance your intestinal flora and boost your immunity. The added addition of beetroot to support detoxification make this one of the best superfoods you can eat and at a very reasonable price!
Also, if you like white cabbage and carrots… look no further!
RED CABBAGE AND BEETROOT RAW SAUERKRAUT
- 1 red cabbage finely chopped
- 2 beetroot grated
- 1 ripe pear or apple peeled and chopped
- 2 tsp. fennel or caraway seeds
- 5 " piece of ginger peeled and grated
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tbsp. raw apple cider vinegar
- Put everything in a large bowl, except the apple cider vinegar and massage the mixture using your hands for 10-15 minutes, until plenty of liquid (the brine) has been released.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and transfer the mixture to a 1 litre sterilized sealable glass jar.
- Press the mixture down firmly, allowing the vegetables to be covered in the brine.
- If the juices do not cover the mixture you can add a little salted water (using 1/2 tsp. sea salt for 1/2 cup water)
- Cover the jar and allow to ferment for 1-4 weeks depending on the temperature of your room.
- If it is slightly sour, it is ready.
- Store in the fridge for up to 6 months.