This raw chocolate avocado pie is free from dairy, gluten and refined sugars and utterly delicious. The crust is a great foundation crust for many different pies – fruit such as mango or coconut cream custard.
RAW CHOCOLATE AVOCADO PIE
- 1 1/8 cups dried coconut
- 1 1/8 cups soaked and dehydrated walnuts soaking releases phytic acid and bitterness
- 1/4 cup soft dates Medjool
- A dash of cayenne pepper to open the palette
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1 7/8 2 cups minus 2 tbsp. water or coconut water
- 2 1/2 or 10 oz avocado flesh
- 1/2 cup young coconut meat
- can substitute more coconut instead of avocado or more avocado instead of coconut
- 1 cup coconut sugar or Lakanto Sweetener very low glycemic sweetener
- 1 tablespoon Lecithin granules non-GMO soy or sunflower - to give silky creaminess
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder or extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup cacao powder
- 3/4 cup coconut oil - healthy fat that will hold it together
- Add the dried coconut to a food processor and process until it becomes like a flour.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until doughy.
- Add another date or a tiny amount of coconut oil if needed (not water!)
- Press into a 9-inch pie plate, trying to bring it up at the sides.
- Freeze while making the filling.
- Blend all the ingredients until smooth.
- Make sure not to overblend, otherwise the fat from the avocado will go gluggy.
- Pour into the crust and even it out.
- Allow to set in the freezer for about 2-4 hours.
- Decorate with chocolate shavings by using a peeler with a bar of dark chocolate and peel shavings onto the pie.
- Allow pie to sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes before cutting into slices and serving.
- It can be stored beautifully in the freezer.