RAW CARROT CAKE with Vanilla Lemon Icing
Author: Jo Holden
I am known for my love of carrot cakes - this one is raw!
- 3 cups chopped carrot or carrot pulp
- ¾ cup pitted dates
- 1 cup activated raw walnuts
- ⅔ cup dried coconut
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ½ cup raisons
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Vanilla lemon Frosting:
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked overnight or 2-4 hours fine too
- ⅔ cup coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ cup water (use more or less to achieve desired consistency)
- ⅓ cup raw honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1½ tablespoon lecithin
- ½ teasppon sea salt
- Add the carrots to a food processor and start to pulse.
- Then add the walnuts, coconut, spices and chia seeds with the dates last and mix into small pieces.
- if you use carrot pulp and it is a little dry you can add a little lemon or orange juice.
- Press the mixture into a greased square or round spring form tin.
- Place in the fridge while you make the frosting.
- Rinse the soaked cashews and blend everything leaving the lecithin until last.
- Remove the cake base from the fridge and pour the icing over the top and around the sides.