These gluten free mince pies are free from refined sugars and dairy but full of goodness and utterly delicious especially with cinnamon essential oil!
GLUTEN FREE MINCE PIES
Author: Jo Holden
These gluten free mince pies are free from refined sugars, dairy but full of goodness and utterly delicious with the added health promoting benefits of cinnamon essential oil
- For the Almond Crust
- 200g ground almonds
- 1 egg or flax egg
- 15g coconut oil, room temperature
- ¾ tbsp. maple syrup
- ¼ tsp. bicarbonate of soda
- For the Mince Meat
- 2 apples (approx 150g)
- 80g raisons and sultanas
- 80g goji berries
- Zest and juice of ½ orange or 1-3 drops of food grade orange essential oil (I use Young Living)
- Zest and juice of ½ lemon or 1-3 drops of food grade lemon essential oil
- ½ tsp. ground mixed spice
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- A few drops of food grade cinnamon essential oil (optional but makes it SO good and healthy)
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- 25g coconut oil
- 1 small pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to Fan 170C and line a tray with cupcake cases.
- Mix together the pastry ingredients until it forms a dough, adding a little more ground almonds if need be.
- Divide into 3 pieces and put in the fridge to chill while you make the mince meat
- Using one third of the dough at a time, roll between 2 pieces of parchment paper until a few millimetres thick.
- Use a pastry cutter that fits the diameter of your cup cake cases to cut out several disks.
- Place a disc in the centre of each one, gently molding the disc to fit the case and then place in a muffin tray if you have one to hold their shape.
- Re-roll any remains of pastry. From the two thirds of the mixture you should be able to make 12-14 large discs or 24-26 mini ones.
- Keep the remaining thirds for the star shapes.
- Bake the bases for 5 minutes.
- For the mince meat finely chop the apple until it is the same size as the raisons and gojis.
- Place all mince meat ingredients in a sauce pan and cook on a medium heat with the lid on for 15 minutes util the apples are soft. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Once cooked an option is to add 2-3 drops of food grade cinnamon essential oil (I use Young Living) It makes them incredible!
- Fill each pastry base with 1 heaped tsp. of mince meat.
- Cut stars from the remaining dough and gently place on top of each pie.
- Brush the tops with either coconut oil or egg yolk and bake for approximately 10 minutes until lightly golden.
- Leave them in the tray for 5 minutes before taking the pies out to put on the rack to cool further.
- They freeze well and will need to be kept in the fridge as there is no sugar to preserve them.
- Adding cinnamon oil makes them extra delicious while it also helps to decrease inflammation, increase circulation and the immune system, balance blood sugar levels and it can relieve depression too....amongst many other health benefits.
- Inspired by Hemsley and Hemsley