This gluten free almond and buckwheat pizza is such a healthy alternative to the regular pizza with white flour and for those on a gluten free diet it’s a lifesaver!
Buckwheat is a highly digestable protein, full of disease fighting antioxidants. It improves heart health by lowering cholesterol and blood sugar levels.
The key is to roll the dough out as thin as possible and then you will enjoy a crispy, flatbread like crust that has a nutty, slightly sweet flavour. Top it with your favourite pesto or passata, mozzarella or a dairy free option like a raw herb cashew cheese, roasted tomatoes, olives and plenty of fresh basil and rocket!
GLUTEN FREE ALMOND AND BUCKWHEAT PIZZA CRUST
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal made from ground raw almonds
- 1 1/2 cups buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 2-3 tbsp. chopped fresh herbs - oregano thyme, parsley
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 eggs or 2 flax/chia eggs 2 tbsp. ground flax/chia + 6 tbsp. water
- 2-3 tbsp. water as needed
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 1/2 cups tomato basil pesto or passata
- Mozzarella or vegan cheese like a raw herb cashew cheese
- 1 cup fresh finely chopped fresh herbs
- 1/2 cup roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 cup olives
- Extra leaves of basil and rocket if desired
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a large baking sheet with baking paper.
- Mix the flax/chia eggs and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients and mix well with hands until you can form a ball.
- Place ball of dough on the baking paper. Place more baking paper on top.
- With a rolling pin, roll out the dough until it is as thin as you can get it.
- Transfer this to the baking tray. If it tears a little do not worry, just try to patch it up with your fingers. It doesn't need to look perfect!
- Spread over the couple of cloves of garlic.
- Bake in the oven at 180C for 15-17 minutes until golden along the edges.
- Remove from the oven and set to the grill, medium heat.
- Spread your pesto or passata onto the crust.
- Sprinkle on your choice of cheese, fresh herbs, oilves and roasted tomatoes.
- Grill for 2-3 minutes, watching closely so it does not burn. Add on any more fresh leaves like basil and rocket and slice and serve immediately.