This fish curry has a delicious tomato base. The curry paste can be made ahead of time and kept in the freezer to add to chicken, fish or lentils, chickpeas or beans.
- For the curry paste:
- 6 garlic cloves
- 4 lemon grass roughly chopped
- 2 medium onions roughly chopped
- 4 cm piece fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon of each: ground turmeric ground coriander, ground cumin, ground cardamon
- 2 fresh red chillies deseeded or 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds optional
- Other ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 peppers any colour, roughly chopped
- 2 x 400g tin of tomatoes
- 250 ml stock preferably homemade
- 600 g firm white fish cut into chunks (mackerel, cod, haddock)
- 400 g spinach roughly chopped
- 2 big handfuls of fresh coriander roughly chopped
- 1 lemon or 2 limes halved for squeezing
- Sea salt
- Place all the ingredients for the curry paste in a food process and blend till smooth.
- Melt the oil in a pan over a medium heat and fry the curry paste, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.
- Add the peppers and tomatoes and a pinch of salt and cook for 5 minutes, until soft.
- Add the stock and simmer for 30 minutes, until the sauce reduces and thickens a little.
- Add the fish and simmer for 5 minutes, until cooked through.
- Stir in the spinach and coriander and squeeze the lemon or lime.
- Perfect served with cauliflower rice and topped with fresh coriander leaves.